Sunday, August 22, 2010

I dont usually make dinner on Sunday nights

For the past couple of years, I haven't cooked on Sunday evenings. Each week, we almost always have a Leftover Night. It's part of our frugal living. Given how crazy life can be in a parsonage on Sundays, today is usually the No-Cook Day in the Matzke house. With us being out-of-town earlier this week, it was pretty slim pickings tonight. I had a bag of frozen cooked shrimp I had bought to use during our pre-Gfest Asian Meal Countdown. For some reason, I didn't make that meal. Aldi had romaine lettuce on sale so the idea for Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad was born.It was so easy that even a tired pastor's wife could throw it together in about twenty minutes. Here's how I made it:

With an immersion blender, combine:
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. anchovy paste
3 cloves of garlic

Mix for about 20 seconds. Then gradually drizzle in 3/4 cup of olive oil while blender is going. Mix until combined. (You could just use a whisk for these two steps if you don't have an immersion blender but see my Cook's Notes below.)

Preheat your grill. (It looked like it could rain so I used my stovetop grill tonight.) Place defrosted, deveined, peeled shrimp onto skewers. Then baste with Wegman's Basting Oil. (Or make your own with olive oil, garlic and your favorite herbs.) Cook shrimp for about 3 minutes a side. Meanwhile rinse and shred romaine lettuce onto plates. When shrimp are done cooking, place them on top of lettuce. Allow "the folks" to dress their own salads with their preference of dressing, salt, pepper, croutons (sorry, they weren't homemade tonight), and parmesan cheese.

Cook's Notes
*I picked up Braun my immersion blender years ago during a bargain hunting trip with my sister. Because it converts to a hand-held mixer and a mini food chopper, I considered it a deal. I use it so much that I would encourage anyone to pay full price for one. You (and your arms) won't regret it!
*Our family each has their own preference for amounts of each topping so I have them do it themselves. You could easily put all the ingredients together in a serving bowl before bringing it to the table for a much classier presentation!
BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea Sue. I already bookmarked the url and looking forward to trying new recipes found here and commenting on them. This could be the next Julie and Julia...can't wait to see it on the big screen. I'm thinking about starting my own blog about my mis-adventures in golf. - Tony

    ReplyDelete