Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Back to School Memories

Around back to school time each fall, I often recall how I ended up getting "Googley-eyed Ann" AKA "Googs." Many Raggedy lovers out there know that Johnny Gruelle's daughter Marcella died because of complications from a tainted vaccination she received from her school. It was after her death, that Mr. Gruelle began to pen down and illustrate the stories he told his late daughter about an old family rag doll. These stories are what led Mr. Gruelle to become a household name. 
In our household, "Googs" is among the favorite of favorite Raggedys. It took a tainted vaccination for me to adopt her. For about five years of my childhood, my family lived in Central Illinois. My mom was not pleased with her girls having to be seen by a family doctor, instead of a pediatrician. So every summer, we trekked back to Ohio to get our yearly physicals from the group of pediatricians who had seen us literally since the day we were born. There must have been a discrepancy between school immunization requirements in Ohio and Illinois because I ended up needing a "shot" right before school started. On the way to the doctor's office, we stopped at a craft bazaar at a local church. There I fell in love with a certain "googley-eyed" Raggedy Ann. My begging didn't work and I left empty-handed.  "Back in the day," one received injections in the bottom. I was none to pleased about this and neither was my mother when I woke up complaining of a sore rear end. As the day progressed, my bottom side grew more sore and red plus I developed a high fever. My mom took me back to the doctor and I was placed on antibiotics with the classic warning that if I wasn't fever free for 24 hours, I would be unable to start school. This broke my little heart!  
I had quite the surprise when we left the doctor's office. My mom turned into the church parking lot where the craft bazaar was being held. After a quick dash inside, she came back with a certain Ann and declared "You need something to smile about!" Ann was my dear friend as I recovered that long weekend. She did indeed bring me smiles because I had to spend a lot of time on my tummy with ice packs on my bottom. I also credit Anne that I made it to the first day of school. 
At fifteen inches, Googly-Eyed Ann was just the right size to love and be loved by. She fit into traditional baby doll clothes so I always had fun looking for items at garage sales. Interestingly, she came with another red-paisley dress. The green dress she is wearing now was one of those "fine finds." Several years back, Mom found her "real dress" and gave it to me. It is Somewhere.
When we got married, Mark declared "Googly-eyed Ann" to be a "mouthful" and gave her the nickname "Googs." It has stuck with her so well that our son has often had to be reminded which Raggedy is "Googly-eyed Ann."

1 comment: